Presented by Steven Hassan, PhD, MA, MEd, LMHC, NCC
Influence spans a continuum from healthy and constructive, to unhealthy and destructive. It can involve individuals, leaders, organizations, and families and other relationships. Individuals who left cults or abusive relationships may experience a multitude of problems long after the departure, such as anxiety and panic attacks, extreme identity confusion, anger, post-traumatic effects, guilt and shame, issues with intimacy and dependency, among many others.
In this three-hour workshop Dr. Hassan will help participants:
- To correctly identify when a client has been raised in an authoritarian environment or recruited into an authoritarian cult of any kind.
- To educate people with the Influence Continuum and the BITE model of Authoritarian Control, for diagnostic as well as psycho educational purposes.
- To understand the dual identity model 300.15 in the DSM-5.
- To understand the Freedom of Mind Approach to recovering from undue influence as well as the Strategic Interactive Approach to help someone who is still involved with an authoritarian relationship or group.
- Participants will correctly identify when a client has been raised in an authoritarian environment or recruited into an authoritarian cult of any kind.
- Participants will utilize the Influence Continuum and the BITE model of Authoritarian Control, for diagnostic as well as psycho educational purposes.
- Participants will describe the dual identity model 300.15 in the DSM5.
- Participants will utilize the Freedom of Mind Approach to recovering from undue influence as well as the Strategic Interactive Approach to help someone who is still involved with an authoritarian relationship or group.
Steven Hassan, PhD is a mental health professional and expert in undue influence tactics used by authoritarian leaders and destructive cults. His expertise includes harmful influence in cases of destructive religious and political cults, human trafficking, extremist and terrorist groups, one-on-one relationships, families, parental alienation, mini-cults, therapy and self-improvement groups, professional and institutional abuse, corporate and multi-level marketing programs, and harmful belief systems. He is the author of four books including Combating Cult Mind Control, Freedom of Mind and The Cult of Trump. His foundational online course is “Understand Cults: The Basics.” He is the Founding Director of the Freedom of Mind Resource Center, which provides training, consulting and support to individuals who are struggling to leave or recover from a cult and to families and organizations that are concerned about cult behaviors. He also is the founder of Freedom From Undue Influence, a not-for-profit entity with the purpose of conducting and publishing the research on undue influence that is needed to update legal and social policies. He developed the BITE Model of Authoritarian Control to identify control tactics and the Influence Continuum Model to discern ethical from unethical influence. He developed the Strategic Interactive Approach (SIA), as an effective and legal intervention alternative for families to help cult members. Dr. Hassan believes that access to the truth, freedom of thought, and freedom from undue influence are basic human rights. A complex systems approach, based in science and supported by the rule of law, is necessary to protect these rights. He is a member of the Program in Psychiatry and the Law at the Massachusetts Mental Health Center, a teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School. He is an experienced educator having served as an instructor for the Harvard Law School Trial Advocacy Workshop, as an elective teacher and a presenter for the Harvard Longwood Psychiatry Residency Training Program, and in other educational and training capacities for other higher education, professional, law enforcement, governmental, non-governmental and advocacy group audiences. Dr. Hassan began helping people affected by undue influence after he was deprogrammed from the Moon cult in 1976 at age 22. His 45 plus years of experience give him a unique perspective on the damaging effects of undue influence and exploitation by destructive cults. He is a frequently requested speaker and media interviewee. Dr. Hassan holds a Master’s Degree in Counseling Psychology from Cambridge College and a Doctorate in Organizational Development and Change from Fielding Graduate University School of Leadership Studies. He is a translated author with published books available in 10 languages. Visit freedomofmind.com to access information and services.
We apply to R. Cassidy and North Shore Medical for CE (social workers, psychologists, LMFTs, LMHCs) CME (medical doctors) accreditation. We will update the website when this program has been approved for 3.0 credits. There is a nominal fee that will be collected at registration for medical doctors applying for CMEs. CEs will paid online directly to R. Cassidy.
This event is free for members and $45 for non-members
NOTE REGISTRATION FOR THIS EVENT CLOSES 9/17/2021!
Virtual Meeting via Zoom. Log in info will be provided the week of the training.
Please direct questions to email@example.com